Tuesday 31 March 2015

An Interview with Edward O'Neil


As you are all aware I had the pleasure of interviewing some musicians this weekend, the first one that I interviewed was Edward O’Neil. Despite the awkward time differences, he was a pleasure to talk to, he was happy to answer any questions that I threw at him, and did so with ease.
You can find Edward's music online on YouTube, the link to his Facebook, YouTube and Twitter will all be at the bottom of the page so that you are able to check him out! Which I thoroughly recommend!



So firstly, tell us all about yourself?
I’m Edward O'Neil I live in Ontario, Canada and I sing and make electronic music.

How would you describe your sound in five words?
Electronic, Catchy, Dreamy, Explosive, Authentic

Who was your biggest inspiration?
My biggest inspiration has always been Owl City I love what he does and I think Adam Young's talent is severely underrated as a musician. I also really enjoy Imogen Heap. She's an incredible producer. And Daft Punk too more recently... So many great artists out there!

Are there any special traditions you have when preparing for a show or
writing a song?

Not really I just try and just keep everything go with the flow but after a song is finished I like to eat pizza and go for a run or something outdoors.

What inspired you to go into the genre that you are?
I think just hearing electronic music done really well. I always wondered how they made it and wanted to try it for myself.

What’s your favourite song to date? And why?
This one is impossible, but I really like a song called "Not like the Movies" by Katy Perry. It’s magic.

Which famous musicians do you admire? Why?
Chris Martin from Coldplay. He just seems like a really down to earth guy, writes good songs, and helps out the environment, all round great guy.

What do you like to do in your spare time?
I don't like having spare time I need to be always working on something. But if I do have some I try and just go outdoors, my generation spends and insane amount of time of their laptops and cellphones it’s nice to just get away from that for a second.

When and why did you start playing?
I started at age 15, I really don't know why I started playing. There were a couple of guys in bands and at my school and they always looked like they were having a blast so I wanted to be a part of that.

What are your fondest musical memories?
I really like when people in general say "I thought you're music would suck but then I listened and it’s actually really good!" I always feel pretty satisfied when I get those messages.

How long on average does it take for you to create a song, from start to finish?
On average it usually takes about 2 weeks per song. Writing songs is easy but recording them and adding all the different layers, instruments, and effects is the hard part. A lot of people don't know that electronic music can easily have 100+ tracks in just one song, I spend an enormous amount of time on the final mixes as well.

1 comment:

  1. He's so cute asfgjkl

    http://thelifeofjades.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete